Thursday, November 28, 2013

Corn Pone and Skillet Gravy , recipes from the poor.

Is essentially an unsweetened fried corn bread without eggs in it.  I've heard it called "The finest of Southern Traditions".  It’s not really the finest of anything.  It’s what the poor and/or starving ate when things like sugar ran out and the hens quit laying eggs or had all been eaten out of desperation.

 There is another recipe I have heard of and haven't been able to find.  I think it may be just an old word for gravy because it sounds like what they may have been making.  It was eaten in the UK by the very poor who could afford nothing else.  It’s cooked in a skillet and made of oil, flour, and water with some salt if they could get their hands on it.  It was called simply "Skillet" and it was cooked and eaten when there was nothing else on hand.  It sounds a lot like plain flour gravy though.

Ingredients:
  • 2 Cups white corn meal
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 ½ Cups cold water
  • 4 Tablespoons vegetable oil

Corn Pone F3
Directions:
  1. Mix corn meal, salt and water.
  2. Preheat oven to 450˚F and heat oil in a round iron skillet in the hot oven.
  3. Carefully spread mixture evenly in skillet.
  4. Spoon some of the fat that comes to the edges up on top of the batter.
  5. Bake for 12 minutes then broil for 3 minutes until crispy around the edges.
  6. Cut into pie shapes and serve. 

2 comments:

  1. H Twisted,

    thanks for visiting my blog. You can’t be visiting many otherwise you’d have a lot more comments.
    I like what I see here, you’re unsentimental enough for my taste and I shall put you in my bookmarks too.

    Have you found me through other bloggers? I wish you had a followers button; never mind though, you no doubt have your reasons. I see you have me in your blogroll, will you come and add yourself to my followers on the followers button in the sidebar, please. I know it’s a bit silly, but please indulge me.

    I’ve not posted for a while but soon my mood will lift and I’ll be back. I hope. And I’ll comment.
    I am curious about you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS: I forgot to say that I know lots of poor people’s recipes, having been one for most of my life, although things are looking up now.

    ReplyDelete